Saturday, October 11, 2008

Syawal Again


Phew! It's been a week and I hope it's not too late to share my Syawal entries.

Who would have thought that the General Election 2008 would have an impact on the happenings on the first day of Syawal at the palace and shake rituals up...


This year, there were more visitors than usual, part of it was because of the celebrations being held at the new palace building in conjunction with the Sultan's 50th anniversary on the throne. Another part was due to the new faces in the government, many were participating in the annual ritual for the first time and were not familiar.


So, when the guests queued up to salam with His and Her Majesty the Sultan and Sultanah, it was havoc. Instead of the usual 2 lines, it became 5 lines. To make matters worse, the xx metre gap between the queue and the royal pair was non-existence. People did not wait for each member of every family to go and greet the pair together, they simply cut in the middle. Families got separated, it was messy. Not to mention, it was confusing and tiring for the royal pair. The couldn't see the faces from far, it was like being swamped by a pool of blury faces and another and another.


I went off first and was surprised to find that my father and the rest of my family members were not behind me. I just wanted to get it over and done with.


Anyway, the paintings and old photos on the walls of the new palace were something - authentic, distinct. I took a few shots:)


No comments: